The DBHDS Behavioral Health Wellness Office is responsible for promoting behavioral health wellness through a comprehensive array of strategies proven to reduce substance abuse and promote mental health. Substance abuse and mental illness share some common risk and protective factors. As a result of reducing risk factors and increasing protective factors for substance abuse, not only will substance abuse prevalence consumption and related consequences be reduced, but prevention of mental illness may be impacted as well.
- CADCA Forum 2019February 22, 2019Please see attached for highlights of the City of Alexandria’s team at CADCA Forum. This year, I attended this event with six Alexandria youth. These students were able to increase their skills and knowledge by listening to plenary speakers and attending interactive workshops, including […]
- CADCA Take-aways from Cumberland MountainFebruary 22, 2019CADCA was an extraordinary assemblage of expertise, perspectives, and best practices. It was revelatory to connect with so many prevention experts and others working on the front lines in their communities to prevent drug misuse and abuse. Starting on Monday with SAMHSA’s Prevention Day, I got an […]
- CADCA forumFebruary 21, 2019It was my first time attending a CADCA forum and my first time at a conference like that. I absolutely loved it and cannot wait to go back to more. I loved seeing all of the people from different parts of the nation, the break out sessions, and exploring a city that I have never been to before. My […]
- CADCA 2019February 21, 2019There were many common themes throughout the week at CADCA. A few that stuck out to me were the power of connecting the dots and people on the continuum of treatment, recovery, and prevention initiatives, the increase in commercialism and potency of today’s marijuana, and the all consuming […]
- CADCA FORUM 2019February 19, 2019Wow! This was my first time attending the CADCA FORUM, what an amazing event! The venue was just gorgeous and what a YOUTH PRESENCE! I am so proud of all of you! My biggest take from the Forum is that this is a joint effort. It takes every entity coming together to make the plan work. It truly […]