The DBHDS Behavioral Health Wellness Office is responsible for promoting behavioral health wellness through a comprehensive array of strategies proven to reduce substance abuse and promote mental health. Substance abuse and mental illness share some common risk and protective factors. As a result of reducing risk factors and increasing protective factors for substance abuse, not only will substance abuse prevalence consumption and related consequences be reduced, but prevention of mental illness may be impacted as well.
- D.C. Update from the National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse DirectorsDecember 5, 2019D.C. Update: HHS announces new program to increase access to PrEP medication, upcoming webinar series on building the prevention workforce, and more Visit our Website Meet the Member Jennifer Smith, Region III Director Jennifer Smith, who serves as Regional Director for Region III on the […]
- Cultural Competency ResourceDecember 4, 2019Passing along a resource from the Central East PTTC on best practices around cultural competence for substance use prevention organizations. Click here to view the report: A Prevention Guide to Improving Cultural Competency: A Literature Review. […]
- Underage Drinking Prevention Campaign 2019December 4, 2019Prevention of Underage Drinking Campaign The Henrico Area Youth Ambassadors (Henrico Prevention Services), in collaboration with the Henrico Too Smart 2 Start Coalition launched the Table Tent Prevention of Underage Drinking Campaign. This program aims to prevent underage alcohol access by placing […]
- OMNI Offices Closed from December 24 through January 1In GeneralDecember 2, 2019Greetings! This is to alert you that OMNI will be officially closed from December 24th through January 1st, reopening on Thursday, January 2nd. We are closing our office so that our staff can enjoy the end of the year with friends and families, and can re-energize for 2020. We hope you can find […]
- Healthy Youth, Healthy Families: Promoting Alcohol-Free Holidays Town Hall DiscussionNovember 27, 2019On December 10, parents and guardians are invited to join the Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Alexandria for “Healthy Youth, Healthy Families: Promoting Alcohol-Free Holidays,” a town hall discussion about preventing underage drinking. This event will be held from 7 – 8:30 p.m. in the […]