As I prepare for next year’s mental health block grant, I wanted to check in with prevention staff to hear what requests you may have to support behavioral health equity in your communities.
Here are some of the activities I am planning on for the next fiscal year:
- Return of the Behavioral Health Equity Summit
- Behavioral Health Equity Mini-Grants with a longer timeline and greater funding opportunities
- Continued virtual training opportunities with contact hours
- Strategic planning sessions for CSB equity/DEI/multicultural committees.
- An expansion of language access services with more streamlined systems and requests for translated documents
- A focus group report on experiences of LGBTQ+ Virginians navigating the behavioral healthcare system
- Release and promotion of the Behavioral Healthcare Index 2.0 that will have zip code level data showing prevalence of SMI, SED & SUD
Let me know what topics, programing and educational opportunities you would like to see more of. I would appreciate any insight, feedback or suggestions you may have. You are always welcome to reach out to me directly, even just to strategize around an incomplete idea.
In the meantime, if you would like to be kept up to date with various programming I am offering, please join my email list here and check out some of the recordings of past workshops offered below
Glencora / email@example.com
- Social Injustice in Behavioral Health with Dr. Ruth Shim
- The Impact of Everyday Racism on Mental Health with Dr. Joseph Williams
- Intergenerational Trauma and the Dual Pandemic with Dr. Jessica Brown
- The Historical Attitudes on Black Mental Health with Dr. Karen Sherry (lead curator of Virginia Historical Society)
- Safer Spaces for LGBTQ+ in Behavioral Health with Side by Side (toolkit website)
- Spanish Speakers Speak Out about Mental Health with Casa Latina
- Moral Injury in Behavioral Health Care with Kim Young
- Crisis Response& Criminalization: A Social Justice Lens with Dr. Sarah Vinson
- Enhancing Behavioral Health Care for Gender Diverse Youth with Dr. Lisa Griffin
- Strengthening Mental Health Support for Refugees with Freshta Taeb